The year is officially half over. For some, that means scrambling to catch up on deadlines. For others, it means they’re ahead of the game—and enjoying well-deserved vacation.
Whether you’re hectically busy or enviably chilled out, our 3D Roundup has something for everyone. Read on, and discover the hottest trends sweeping the world of 3D, exciting new content from 3Dconnexion and tips to help you dominate your 3D designs!
If I Only Had a Brain
Don’t think 3D technologies are changing the way we live, work and play? Think again—literally. Recently, German scientists developed a 3D “digital atlas” of the human brain with a resolution 50 times greater than any existing brain map. The new map shows an unprecedented level of cellular detail, say the project’s researchers.
According to The Nation, Katrin Amunts, lead researcher on the project, describes previous digital brain atlases as imprecise maps that were only capable of showing “cities and countries.”
“Now we can look into individual streets,” she told the paper.
3D Printing Seeing Dollar Signs
It’s anything but business as usual in the 3D printing world.
In June, industrial 3D printing company Stratasys acquired MakerBot, a consumer-focused manufacturer of 3D printers (including the popular Replicator line of machines). The deal was worth $403 million, TechCrunch reported. 3D printing also bounded into the mainstream in another big way: Amazon has created a 3D printing store on its site.
Has 3D printing truly arrived? Only time will tell. But in the meantime, we’re betting Stratasys and MakerBot are eyeing that Amazon store with interest.
All the Fashion That’s Fit to Print
3D’s not all medical miracles and mergers these days. In Malaysia, fashion designer Melinda Looi and 3D printing company Materialise teamed up to conduct Asia’s first 3D printed fashion show.
The collection of clothing and accessories was entirely 3D printed, and artistically inspired by birds, according to Mashable. That’s fitting: If Looi and her colleagues have anything to say about it, 3D printing is poised to take flight.
3D Mouse Resources
Here at 3Dconnexion, we’re wild about 3D mice. That’s why we’ve collected a list of useful resources sure to help you adopt a 3D mouse more effectively:
- Why is a Two-Handed Work Style Right for Your 3D Design Sessions? — What’s so great about a two-handed work style? Find out for yourself with this helpful post outlining the benefits of working with both a 3D mouse and a standard mouse.
- 3 Strategies to Adopt a 3Dconnexion 3D Mouse Faster — A two-handed work style improves productivity, but it can take a little getting used to. These 3 strategies will help you quickly and easily adopt a two-handed work style when using a 3Dconnexion 3D mouse.
Design Tips and Valuable Resources
Now that you’re up to speed on the latest trends, it’s time to get up to speed on your work. These resources, tutorials and tips are here to help. With them, you’ll start being more proficient and productive in no time:
- Cinema 4D Tutorials: 35 Projects to Up Your 3D Skills — CreativeBloq rounds up a ton of Cinema 4D tutorials for your designing pleasure. Find lessons on everything from the basics (camera calibration) to advanced techniques, like mastering Cinema 4D’s physics engine.
- Blender Tutorials: 25 Ways to Create Cool 3D Effects — Once again, CreativeBloq delivers with all sorts of guidance on how to create stunning visual effects in Blender’s open-source 3D software.
- 3 Tips to Jumpstart Design Creativity — Sometimes, the problem isn’t a technical block, but a creative one. Use these 3 tips to jumpstart your design creativity and rustle up a little inspiration on your next project.
Improve Your Creativity Starting Today
Creativity isn’t a gift. It’s a skill. And you can improve it—beginning today. The Creativity Handbook for 3D Professionals is a manual packed with habits, tools and hacks that will make you more creative, more often.
This handbook has 25+ pages of information that will help you boost your design creativity and improve your career. Get started today.